8.03.2009

Confessions of a Market Editor: Barry Blevins on Fall Trends

Market Editor Barry Blevins and Procter & Gamble look ahead at the upcoming season in the September and October issues of Teen Vogue.
Barry says, "I loved working on this project for Procter & Gamble which is running in the September and October issues of Teen Vogue. The look of the clothing and accessories for the Teen Vogue girl is lady-like meets downtown which I honestly think is perfect for some of the big Fall trends. It's not about one look from head to toe anymore, so I really focused on cherry picking some of my favorite items from this season's top trends with the intention of mixing up everything from all the resources I pulled. The result are photos that I think are young and fresh with smiling, healthy-looking, beautiful girls. It is chic but with an edge which I think is really the most predominate fashion concept for Fall. I love the sharp shoulders of the black blazer, the animal print, the layers of necklaces, the stacks of studded cuffs, and the leather jacket.

One of the things I love most about this shoot is the mix of resources which I think is totally modern for today no matter if you are a teen living in the East Village or Middle America. In these photos you can find everything from Marc Jacobs, Alberta Ferretti, and Helmut Lang to H&M, Urban Outfitters, and the Gap. When I was at Details and Rolling Stone magazines and working on some pretty cutting edge and iconic shoots with the likes of Mark Seliger, Ellen Von Unwerth, Richard Burbridge, Bettina Rheims, and Michelangelo di Battista, I pulled from some pretty gritty places in New York and all around the world to get whatever I needed to make sure the shoot was everything it was supposed to be; so I had fun hitting places like Trash & Vaudeville where I got the studded leather cuffs and even threw in one of my favorite belts which ended up in the shoot too. It's the rhinestone one twisted up. What's most rewarding is seeing my work end up on the printed page."

P.S. Check out another P&G ad running in the September and October issues of American Vogue...Barry did that too.

No comments: